Pages

Wednesday 9 February 2011

New Job, Day 8

Many of you who follow me on Twitter will know that I have recently started a new job. So far all seems to be going very well, I am enjoying a change of scenery and am enjoying actually being challenged at work (not like my old job). Some bits of the job aren't always fun (but no job is 100% fun), however I do get plenty of "tinkering time".

A lot of my time recently has been taken up with the task of cleaning up a giant mailbox. I decided that Powershell would be the best way to tackle this, however I know next to nothing about the language so a lot of it has been educated guess work and googling.
I have reached a stage where I have a working method, but it is terribly inefficient. Now I am working on version 2.0, which should be much quicker and kinder to the resources. Anybody who knows more about PS than me and would like to offer some assistance, feel free to ping me on twitter.

During quiet periods at work, I am trying to spend as much time as possible learning about the infrastructure stuff and what goes on under the bonnet in a bid to move in that direction. I am aiming to get away from support in the next 12 months or so, which will be a welcome step in the right direction for my career.

In other news, I have almost finished the website that I volunteered to make. It has taken a bit of time, given the house move and job change that have recently taken place; but it is as good as complete.
Some more web work will be due to start, once the facelift project at work gets moving; which will hopefully serve as a welcome break from support.

On a final note, my car (in typical French style) has decided that it wants some more attention (read money) and has produced a rather interesting noise. My front tyres are also just about legal for now, so will probably want to be replaced fairly soon.

I will be in the market for a new car once my first three months at work passes. All suggestions are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment